Volunteer at GAIT TRC
GAIT TRC relies on dedicated volunteers to keep the program running and we are always in need of more help. GAIT provides many rewarding volunteer opportunities for those who are interested in working with horses, improving the lives of individuals with disabilities, or even with improving themselves. Volunteers will have an opportunity to be physically active, be socially engaged, and learn new skills all while benefiting the community and the lives of people with special needs.
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Horse handling
- Sidewalking with a student
- Barn chores
- Landscaping/ gardening
- Activities program
- Facility repairs
- Public relations
- Photography/ video
- Fundraising and other special events
Experience with horses and/or working with individuals with special needs is appreciated, but not necessary as we will teach you everything you need to know. There are 4 requirements to be a volunteer here at GAIT TRC:
- You are 12 years of age or older.
- You complete and sign GAIT's Volunteer Forms and give them to GAIT's Volunteer Coordinator.
- Obtain necessary background checks prior to attending Volunteer Training, as required by PA law
- New and returning volunteers must attend one of GAIT's Safety and Orientation Trainings annually, held on the first Saturday of each Session.
Child abuse clearance can be obtained through the Child Welfare Portal. Fee waived for volunteers.
PA State Criminal Background Check can be obtained through Pennsylvania Access To Criminal History. Fee waived for volunteers.
Register to obtain FBI Fingerprint Criminal History Clearance through Cogent, Inc. Current fee is $27.50.
See our event calendar for volunteer training dates and class schedules. Safety and Orientation Volunteer Trainings are usually scheduled for the first Saturday of each Session from 12:30 pm- 2:00 pm, through January- October. Schedules are subject to change, so please check with us to confirm.
If you are interested in volunteering for GAIT, call us at 570-409-1140.